Wednesday, January 16, 2008

day 16


Long before Victor Wootton there was Jaco Pastorius...
I like selecting my iPod music each morning before my ride. It's like choosing the soundtrack for the movie in post-production (except that it's real time and real life.) Lately I've been reacquainting myself with Joni Mitchell's Mingus album. I still have the original vinyl album I bought back in Adelaide around 1980. It's quite surreal weaving in and out of Himeji traffic and pedestrians, or travelling between the Senba River and the Himeji-jo moat while grooving to The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines.
Last week the strangest thing happened. I was going away from the eki on the Otamae Rd and heading towards the castle listening to Jaco Pastorius' amazing fretless bass on A Chair In the Sky when Wayne Shorter's plaintive moan on soprano comes in on the right channel. Although I've heard it countless times, it took me by surprise. I quickly glanced right and there was this naked black man playing a sax. For a second I thought he was joining in.
Who is this naked black man? Wakarimasen...

No comments: